Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Disneying the Classics #12: Cinderella

Woah baby! It's the first actual Disney animated movie since I dunno like ever! You know, as in not a shorts compilation, it's a movie that's actually considered a classic. It has a Platinum Edition DVD and everything. This is one of those movies with a serious presence in Disneyland, and let's be honest, I'm only doing this so I can fully get the Disneyland experience. Now, on to Cinderella.

Previous relationship with movie: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, because I have the VHS tape. But I don't really remember anything about it besides having seen Bippity Boppity Boo many, many times on a Disney Sing-a-long tape.

So I watched it: Gotta say, I didn't love it. It's definitely a beautiful movie but man is this thing slight. Like how in Pinocchio how the first half hour of the movie is pretty much real time Gepetto creating Pinocchio, this movie starts out with at least a half hour of a real-time day in the life of Cinderella, except a lot less happens. Really, I'd say it's fair to call this movie "inessential," if you watch a clip reel of the best parts of this movie then you pretty much get what the movie's about. You probably don't NEED to see the whole thing. Oh, who am I to bash this movie, just see it anyway, it's gorgeous. Yeah I'm backpedaling but olde-tyme Disney has one of those "lifetime passes" you hear so much about. I'll try to make the next write up better (how many times have I said that now? every time?!).

Best part of the movie: When Selena Gomez sings Tell Me Something I Don't Know In the Bippity Boppity Boo segment when the Fairy Godmother turns Cinderella's rags into a gown. If it was Walt Disney's favorite piece of animation, who am I to argue? The face the stepmother makes in this article's screenshot is a close second.

Up next: Alice in Wonderland. Hey, I know that one!

No comments: