Monday, May 25, 2009

Disneying the Classics #10: Melody Time

Watchin' Disney was a lame name so this feature is now called Disneying the Classics, sorry for the confusion it will cause on this feature's Wikipedia page.

Today's movie is Melody Time. It's not great, so let's make this one short.

Previous relationship with the movie: I think a preview for it was on one of the Disney Singalong tapes I watched a lot growing up. I also think I might have seen some of the segments from this movie as stand-alone shorts.

So I watched it: Oh, was this a letdown. I had such high hopes that this would blow the rest of the Disney package movies out of the water. The DVD does a lot to raise expectations; the front cover and the description on the back suggest that Donald Duck hosts the whole movie, but this is not the case. There is no framing device in the movie, it's just a bunch of shorts that may or may not involve music. The parts that I thought would be awesome were just pretty boring, like the Blame It On The Samba sequence featuring my new favorite Disney character Joe Carioca. It's worse than anything in Saludos Amigos or The Three Caballeros though. Also the Johnny Appleseed segment, which is kind of famous by Disney shorts standards considering that I'm pretty sure I've seen it before. Problem is, the Johnny Appleseed story doesn't have much conflict. Johnny goes around planting apple trees, stays in the lord's good graces, then dies and goes to heaven.

Pretty much the best part of the movie is Pecos Bill, about a cowboy who is famous in Texas. I'm not sure if it's a real Texas legend or just for the movie, but it has a live-action framing sequence with Roy Rogers telling the story to a bunch of little cowboys and cowgirls. If you're going to watch a sequence from this movie, Pecos Bill is the one to watch.

Best part of the movie: Honestly, the best part of the movie is when they give Texas a dick.

Up next: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, then I'm done with the package films and can get onto the real Disney movies which were the reason I started this project in the first place!

No comments: